Tips for a successful interview
An interview can be intimidating if you are not prepared. The following list contains suggestions to help you during an interview.
1. Perform some research on the company with the local library or through the Internet. Company web sites are good sources of information when trying to learn about a specific company.
2. Tailor your résumé to the position for which you are applying.
3. Bring extra copies of your résumé along with a notepad and pen for taking notes.
4. Know where you're going - scout out the interview location early,
or the day prior.
5. Turn off your mobile phone.
6. Arrive 10 minutes early.
7. Remove all candy/gum from your mouth.
8. State your qualifications honestly. Do not exaggerate or embellish your skills or experience.
9. Shake hands confidently, smile frequently, and don’t sit until you are offered a seat.
10. Do not wear baggy or tight fitting clothes.
11. Avoid excessive make-up.
12. Sit up in your seat attentively – don’t lean back.
13. Keep eye contact with the interviewer.
14. Avoid saying negative things about past employers.
15. Prepare three questions to ask about the position.
16. If you are interested in the position, close the interview by asking what the next step is.
17. Thank the interviewer for their time and send a handwritten thank you note.
What to wear
1. Clean, pressed clothes.
2. Wear only light perfume or cologne, or go without.
3. Women should wear hosiery.
4. No flip flops.
5. Shoes should be polished.
6. Hair should be clean & neat.